I would primarily describe myself as a data scientist but I have a very broad background. I’m eternally curious about learning new things, and this has led me to work in all kinds of fields. Following my PhD in Mechanical Engineering in the UK, I moved to Italy to work on scientific research for policy making. I have become internationally-recognised expert in both of the main fields I have worked in in recent years: sensitivity/uncertainty analysis, and composite indicators. I’ve worked on high-impact projects with dozens of international organisations, and in the meantime written around 30 journal publications, with approx. 1500 citations and counting.
Throughout my career I’ve discovered what I really enjoy:
- Working with interesting people
- Creatively tackling challenging problems
- The satisfaction of doing something well
- Learning new things and teaching others
Here are some of my technical skills (both software and otherwise):
- Highly experienced data/stats programmer, primarily in R and Matlab, but moving to Python as well
- App and dashboard development in Shiny, plotly etc.
- Git, Github (collaborative, branching, merging etc.)
- Software development: CI/CD, unit testing, code review, etc.
- MS Office, very good in Excel including Power Query
- Scientific drafting in LaTeX and Markdown
- Web development via Blogdown and Hugo (this site created using this method)
- Stats and machine learning to postgrad/research level
- Increasing knowledge of SQL
- Good knowledge of public policy
- Project management
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal.
- Good public speaker and trainer
- Good with clients, able to quickly understand needs
- Able to work fast and efficiently, either independently or in a team
- Empathetic leader with a genuine interest in people
I love talking to and working with people from different countries.
- English (native)
- Italian (fluent)
- Spanish (formally fluent, now a bit rusty due to too much Italian exposure!)
- French (certified up to C1 but in practice I’m intermediate)
- German (beginner/intermediate)
Life is by no means just about work.
- Playing guitar, music, singing and songwriting
- General fitness (running, crossfit, swimming)
- Construction and craft
- Gardening and sustainable living